The financial aid program supports the commitment of Forsyth Country Day School and its Board of Trustees to maintain a student body with a wide range of experiences, talents, interests, and backgrounds. The fundamental goal of the program is to enable qualified students to attend the school who, but for financial aid, could not afford to do so. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of economic need, as determined by the formulae devised by the School and Student Service for Financial Aid, as reviewed by the Financial Aid Committee. Once a family’s need is established, no one quality or qualities govern the decision to award aid, although economic status, racial/ethnic background, talents, interests, and standing in the community may be considered.
Each year the Board of Trustees establishes tuition, the overall budget for the school and a budget for the total amount available for financial aid. Using this as a guideline, the Financial Aid Committee evaluates applications and makes awards to as many families as possible. Our program is completely self -funded; the total amount available each year varies.
- To ensure objectivity, FCDS uses an outside service (School and Student Service) to evaluate applications. Using their assessment and the other materials submitted, the Financial Aid Committee determines how much assistance can be offered to a family based on the School’s overall budget. Awards are made to students in good standing based upon the family’s financial need. (Please note that SSS will provide you with a copy of their recommendation to FCDS, but you must request it at the time of your application.)
- Families are encouraged to apply in January and February, but should submit their application to SSS no later than March 15, 2013.
- New students’ families should complete admissions and financial aid applications concurrently; financial aid applications are considered only after a new student has been accepted.
- After returning families’ applications are considered, new families’ applications are reviewed.
- All families receiving aid must re-apply each year.
- In separated or divorced families, both parents/guardians must submit applications. Financial aid is not available for textbooks.
- Returning and new families submit the online Parent Financial Statement (PFS) to School and Student Service (SSS). To apply online go to sss.nais.org. Our school code is 3226. If you have questions about the SSS submission process, go to FAQs for Families or call 800.344.8328 for more information. You may also find pertinent information in the Family Guide to Financial Aid.
The following items are required of all financial aid applicants to determine financial need:
- Copy of your most recent 1040 income tax returns with original signatures.
- Business/Farm Statement and Corporate Tax Return/Schedule C/Schedule F (as needed).
- Copy of W-2 Forms.
- Copy of most recent pay stub.
- The above items must be uploaded or mailed to SSS by April 16 to complete the application. Their address is: SSS by NAIS, Application Processing Center, P.O. Box 449, Randolph, MA 02368-0449
- While not required, families can choose to submit a cover letter to the Financial Aid Committee outlining the reasons for applying and/or any unusual family or financial circumstances. This is an opportunity to address the committee and help the committee understand more about a family’s individual situation and need. This cover letter should be sent to the FCDS Financial Aid Committee by March 15, 2013.
Families may submit the FCDS and SSS financial aid applications and paperwork starting November 1, 2012.
- The deadline for submitting the application to SSS is March 15, 2013.
- The deadline for submitting all materials to FCDS and SSS is April 16, 2013. This deadline is important; although late applications are accepted, funds may not be available.